Saturday, August 17, 2013

What Zach likes to do

Zach is always my guinea pig. Firstborn, and most everything takes longer with him because I figure out my mistakes on him. He is very forgiving. :)

His first reaction to the first day was: "this is too easy." I had begun to work with him using some old Abeka readers, so some words he has already learned. So I am going to have to find little incentives to help him through this phase. Like googly eyes for his every day dinosaur drawings.

I may need to buy a bigger stockpile of googly eyes.

Also because of the Abeka readers, he was used to learning 15-20 words per book, so 6-8 words per day feels to him like baby steps. So I am working with it by showing him 4 days of words at a time, and then spending a couple of days reading the stories and the review.

Today I gave him a spelling test by giving him a dry erase crayon and letting him spell the words on the shower wall. Seriously, he loved it.

I found a pleasant surprise - Zach likes to do copywork. He was very disappointed that he didn't have worksheets like Gracie. Thanks to Sis Pastor's Wife, I have TONS of handwriting practice paper, good old-fashioned brownish gray thin paper with lines and spaced for beginner writers. So I am not going to be shy about it - I wrote out his words and he happily copied them.

He also surprised me in that he noticed the letter 'a' in different fonts, if you will. I printed it like a circle with a tail, and he noticed the san serif font on the video. So he experimented with how he would write lowercase 'a'. I didn't see that coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment